Wednesday, December 7, 2011

One thing about trains: It doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on.

I am sitting on my sofa watching the very end of The Polar Express and the conductor (the voice of Tom Hanks)  just said "One thing about trains: It doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on."  I feel like that pretty much sums up my transition out of my professionally focused lifestyle and into a more family focused lifestyle.   I decided to buy a ticket for this new train even though I already had a seat reserved on the professional train.  I have transitioned to a less professionally intense job (hopefully) that has a much more limited potential for raises and promotions.  In return I will hopefully receive a much better work-life balance and a more calm and consistent lifestyle.  I don't exactly know where this new family centered lifestyle is going but at least I made the decision to get on the train. 

It is equally important to know when to get off a train that is barreling towards certain disaster.  I disembarked the public accounting train while it was still moving a few months ago.  It was a bit of a hard landing financially but I am no worse for the wear.  It is far better to be on a train meandering towards a question mark than one headed straight for a fiery inferno.  You always have the choice of which train to ride.  You just need to make a decision.  Remember, the only thing worse than getting on the wrong train is leaving yourself stranded in the station. 

No comments:

Post a Comment